Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

My issue is that my furnace isn't producing much heat. The

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** ***** my issue is that my furnace isn't producing much heat. The vents are only pushing about 75-80 degree air. The inside temp won't raise above 60 when outside temp is below 30. I have cleaned the blower, replaced filter, cleaned return duct, checked burners. The furnace is running all the time but won't heat past 60 for the 1000sqft house.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The furnace is a payne pg9maa from 2001. This is my first year in the house so I am unsure of much else
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yeah that is fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Here's what I'd like you to do to start out with: call for heat and go down by the furnace, take the cover off near the burners and watch it light. Does it light OK? Burner flames look normal? As it heats, do the burners stay on the whole time, or do they go out? And if they do, are you getting an LED flash code? Once you've done all this reply back to me and we can go from there. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The burners all light as they should and glow blue with no flickering and stay lit with no error codes.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, but have you done what I asked? I need you to kind of be my eyes and ears here since I'm not onsite.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I need you to actually stay there a while and watch it. I want to know if, during the course of a call for heat, the burners saty on and look normal the WHOLE TIME.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it last night and those were my results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was there for about 10 minutes while I was also looking around online and never saw it go out
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, but after 10 minutes, had the house reached setpoint?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope the house was 59 degrees and tstat set to 68. The furnace also ran all night and never got above 61 degrees according to the ecobee3
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I guess that's what I'm getting at. Lets say you watched it for 10 minutes and everything seemed normal, but then after you left, burner starting going off and on because of some error. That's why I'd like you to watch it the whole time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just attached an image from my ecobee. The upper orange line shows when the furnace is running. The breaks are only there because I was checking things in the furnace and turned it off. The lines show the inside temp (white), outside temp(green), and set temp (orange). How long should I watch it? The house doesn't go above 62-63 degrees so it will never reach set point.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pic. I would watch it at least a half hour. Another way we can approach this: inside your furnace on a tag will be your make model and serial number as well as some other information. Somewhere on there will be a thing called "temperature rise". Lets just say it says 65-85. So what that means is that the air coming out of your furnace (above the A-coil for your AC) should be 65-85 degrees hotter than air coming in. If you can obtain an accurate probe type thermometer that will read, lets just say up to 200 degrees and check the temp of the air coming into your furnace )right around whrer the furnace filter is) and then the air blowing into your house (above the A-coil) and see if there really is a temperature rise that coincides with your stamped temp rise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will come back when after I get a chance a little bit later today to watch it for that and let you know.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I watched the flame for just under 30 minutes and it didn't change or go out during. I kept checking on it for about 15 minutes after and it was still lit. I attached two pictures: one is the best I could get of the flame and the other this a vent within about 2 feet of the furnace output (you can see the edge of the furnace on the left). The return air is was about 61 degrees and as you can see that is about 85 and would go up and down between 75 and 85. The air temp rise is 45-75
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Well you want to measure the supply air right above the coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the drain tube from the secondary heat exchanger and rusty water flowed out of it. I also found a video online explaining the symptoms of that being bad and it fits almost 100%. So I have someone coming out tomorrow to check it and hopefully warranty repair it because payne extended it to 20 years.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

And that would make sense, because if the secondary heat exchanger is cracked, a lot of the combustion products (and heat) would end up outside your heat exchanger where you wouldn't want it. It's funny you didn't get a pressure switch code, though, if that is bad.