HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My heat pump is not turning off. The outside unit is making

Customer Question

My heat pump is not turning off. The outside unit is making a clicking noise when I am in heating mode. When I change to cooling mode, the noise goes away. The outside temperature is about 60F. I set the temperature at 73F. The thermometer reads 73F. When I touch the air exiting the vent it doesn't feel much warmer than ambient air. Maybe a little warmer. I finally just switched to emergency heat. That heat pump was probably on for nearly 24 hours before I noticed. I didn't keep track, but it just got annoying that it was on for so long. My electricity usage was nearly double what it was for January of last year. My question is what's broken?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

More thank likely the contactor for the compressor is bad and making noise. If the outside fan is running and you are just hearing the clicking that is likely the contactor engaging and disengaging. So either that is bad or you may have a bad capacitor for the compressor at the outside unit. It is likely one of the two.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks