Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I need a HVAC Tech that has lots of experience with a

Customer Question

I need a HVAC Tech that has lots of experience with a Carrier Model 58GS 100-3
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Your furnace has a little wire built into the pilot that is heated by the flame to tell the gas valve it is safe to stay on.This little probe will build up with carbon preventing it from sensing flame so valve shuts down,Have you tried cleaning it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it fine sand paper and scuffed it up a little. Didn't really see any carbon build up.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

id that make any difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I didn't finish my thought process. No it did't make any difference
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to open this to my colleagues to see if they have ideas.

Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

One moment please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Carrier, Model 58GS100-3. I have had trouble with the furnace before. I got up this morning and the fan was blowing cold air. So I thought no problem its either the limiter or a blown fusible link. I turned the furnace off and pulled the 2 terminals off the limiter switch. I did a continuity test on the fusible link and it checked out OK. I joined the 2 terminals together by passing the limiter switch and turned the furnace back on the blower motor was not blowing an more but the furnace would not work. The pilot light would come on and the burners would light just for a few seconds then go off while the limiter switch was by passed. So I put the wires back on the limiter switch and the furnace did the same thing.

That unit has a pilot assembly that sometimes get corroded and will not let the furnace stay on. Take the end of a screw driver and tap the assembly lightly. This will clear any corrosion from assembly. Retry and let me know. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Russ I changed out the igniter because thats the only thing that looked really dull. So after changing that out I'm blowing those little 3 amp fuses on the mother board. Now what.

3 wires or 4 wire igniter. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Three wires

Green,yellow wires connected to assembly. Does it try to ignite. Not going anywhere be here till 10 CDT. Will reply quickly. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. When I turn the power on you hear a little snap ( fuse ) and blower motor comes on

Unplug the wires off the igniter. The black box that the round wore plugs into and see it the fuse blows. If you can attach photo of assembly. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I unplugged the wire from the igniter and the wire from the black box. The blower did not come on and did not blower the fuse. I'm sorry but I don't know how to attach a photo.

That is ok . Now plug wire back in igniter and retry. Do no plug in the three wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugged the wire back into the box and applied power and did not blow fuse.

Did the igniter spark. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the I could tell.

You will have to have thermostat on heat. You should here a popping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My thermostat is on heat. No there was no popping

Plug your assembly back in and retry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blower came back on blew a fuse

All the wires match on the new assembly correct. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They plug into each other male/female

Unplug assembly. If you have a voltmeter check the continuity on each wire to ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thats going to take me a little time. Am I checking the wires going to the pilot or to the black box? That wire going from the black box going to the spark electrode is that a spark plug wire or what is it? I thought I would go ahead and replace that also.

Going to pilot. I will be here about another hour. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I did it right I did not get any read at all. I have a digital fluke and the meter did do anything. I ground to the burner pipe.

Should not be any to ground.. Need to get somebody on spot with instruments to check controls. Upsets me when I am not there. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I know you have to go. I'll check with you tomorrow if thats Ok.

THats Ok I will find out more at Carrier Dealer,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get a chance to talk to a Carrier dealer or do you have any other ideas?

Getting info today on furnace. Russ