Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I need a new heat pump installed. I was interested in

Customer Question

I need a new heat pump installed. I was interested in getting a two-stage unit. One of my consultation advised me against this because of the ductwork in my attic and multiple distribution center ducting in my attic. It is my understanding that the two-stage heat pump mostly refers to the compressor outside not the variable speed air handler inside. I was wondering why they would be advising a cheaper unit or if only to remain at a competitive price.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the more complex the system is, the more it will cost to buy and the more it will cost to maintain, exponentially in some cases.

Tell me about your house in detail, its construction materials and brick, is it one or two story. How many square feet in total, and where which region of the country is it in (nearest city will work).

Does it have both a spacious attic and basement, or just one or the other.

Tell me about your priorities. Please list them i order of importance to you:

Price

reliability.

Perfect humidity and temperature control in all weather no matter what.

Quietness of operation.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a generic reply. Not answering question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello you are 100% correct, maybe 200% correct, my reply is intended to collect the data needed to give you good advice... it is not the slightest attempt to answer your question at this point.

I can only answer your question after I collect the data needed to do a good job for you... it would be quite easy to hand you some generic information that a two stage system uses less energy and gives better temperature and humidity control than a single stage system... but that would be a great disservice in my view... it will also cost 3 times as much to maintain the two stage system.

I happy to call you on the phone, here is an additional service offer to cover that.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Be sure to put your phone number in this light blue private box...not in the regular white dialog box, thats public... the blue box is hidden from the public.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Once you accept, I will give you my private email in case you need to send pictures more easily.