BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Installing a Nest thermostat. My old thermo has a blue wire

Customer Question

Customer: Installing a Nest thermostat. My old thermo has a blue wire and an orange. Nest has an OB connector. I don't have a heat pump, but this thermostat is on an electric damper system with a separate thermo.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Confused how to connect the O and B wires. Nest says place O to the "OB" connector. Send the B to "C" connector. But they assumed I had a heat pump--not so. Graeme Keeping
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure. the things all apart
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I apologize your question has not been picked up yet. I just logged on and saw the question still open.

If you still need help use REPLY.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Billy, I was on with Nest tech support several times. They're clueless, and finally didn't respond. After 3 days and a chill in that part of the house I reinstalled the 3m and the Nest (an overstated product bordering on fraud) is on its way back to Amazon.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

You have made the right decision.

While the Nest has great marketing behind it...it lacks the ability to interface with zone units as a lead/lag.

The Nest would not have worked for you based on available testing. It may eventually but at this point it is best served as a single zone basic hvac controller