Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My name is ***** *****, and I am curious about whether it is

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, and I am curious about whether it is reasonable for a novice do-it-yourselfer to attempt to replace the aquastat on a 27 year old utica boiler? Also, with a boiler that old, should I just be buying a new boiler?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: As I tried to start up heating for the season last week, I got no heat. A service tech said the gas valve was turned to pilot, so he turned it to normal heating mode. At that point, the boiler began to fire, but never stopped (until I turned off the power). He came back to replace the aquastat, but found he had brought the wrong model, and concurrently indicated that the gas valve was bad. He put the old acquastat back on. For two days nothing worked (no heat), but then the boiler cam back on, firing without stop. Once again, when the house hit 84 degrees (thermostat set to 70), I turned off the power to the boiler. Now I am debating whether to (a) replace the aquastat myself, (b) pay the service tech to do it, or (c) buy a new boiler. Any advice?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you're confident you can make the electrical connections then it's not that difficult to swap out the control. You just swap it lead for lead. Best to take a picture before you take the old one apart. If you have trouble you can always come back here and I can give you a hand.
If you have a cast iron boiler then the boiler could last another 10 years so a couple hundred for an aquastat is probably worth the expense. Of course you need to be sure you have the right model aquastat if you want to attempt this yourself.

Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

However, I'm not convinced the problem is with the aquastat based on your description. It could also be due to a bad thermostat or a short in the thermostat wiring