Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My 10 year old Rheem gas furnace sometimes doesn't kick in

Customer Question

My 10 year old Rheem gas furnace sometimes doesn't kick in when the temperature drops below the temperature set on the thermostat. I have a White Rodgers thermostat in "hold" position, and about once a day the temperature in the house drops below the temperature set on the thermostat. If I manually lower the set temperature a couple degrees below the house temperature, then slowly increase it, I hear the furnace kick in and all is well until it happens again, typically sometime within about 24 hours. Could it be the thermostat? I seem to recall that we had a similar issue a few years ago and ended up changing the mother board(?). Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your description would seem to point to the thermostat. The next time this happens you could try bypassing the thermostat by connecting the leads on the R & W terminals together. If the furnace fires right up then that would point to your thermostat. There are other possibilities but you need to rule out the thermostat first. When you connect the 2 leads at the thermostat take care to not touch them to any other leads/terminals on the thermostat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I will try that when I get home tonight. I recall that there are a lot of wires going into the thermostat--will the R and W wires be labeled? Or does R mean the red one and W mean the white one?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. I mean the wires connected to the R & W terminals on the thermostat. It's usually red & white but not always