Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have office space in my warehouse that has a combo

Customer Question

Hi I have office space in my warehouse that has a combo unit above it Hanging on threaded rods from frame of warehouse. This is the only supply of AC and Heat to the offices and has worked efficiently and had little to no problems until yesterday. When I came in and turned it on (usually leave off at night unless temps are very Cool or Hot) and the thermostat clicked like it normally does and the heat never started. The Blower did not start either. I tried the A/C side it seems to work fine. I replaced the thermostat the wiring was pretty simple color coded so I feel like I got it right and the fan would kick in right away when I turned it to heat which is not normal as it normally takes 15-30 seconds or so it seems to kick in after you hear the thermostat click. Anyway I checked the unit over and can find no reset there is a breaker on the unit in a little breaker box its not tripped but I tripped it and reset it just to be sure. There is only one breaker that feeds the unit in the main breaker panel it of course was not tripped. The problem seems to be with the heat side only. Could the element be bad? I am not a H VAC mechanic by no means but can usually fix stuff, anything but a broken heart, yet this one has me stumped. Any ideas?

If you need it the serial Number is(###) ###-####S
This is an electric unit.

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

I'm not getting anything for that manufacturer or model number except a distributor (not the mfg.). Typically with those symptoms though, it's not usually a heating element on an electric heating furnace. It's usually a relay or sequencer or possibly a printed circuit control board. If you can give me more specific info or any additional info off of the unit data plate, I may be able to help more. If there's no additional info there, a close up and legible picture of the wiring diagram that should be posted inside the unit will get us where we need to be. A picture of the control panel would be helpful too. You can upload them here using the 'Attach Files' button in the reply dialog box.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is all I could get to the cover had some wire holding it down on top so I stuck my phone in there. No one was here to help and I had an appointment coming in so at this hour no more info. There was a phone # I could see it was(###) ###-#### Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say control panel what exactly am I looking for there?

I'm sorry to say that I still can't find any unit specific data from the info in the pictures except that data plate looks like it's on a packaged air conditioner with electric heat. Perhaps if at some point you can get a picture of that entire data plate sticker I can glean more and get you some better trouble shooting tips. I wish I could help more from what you've given.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is for sure a packaged air conditioner with electric heat. I forgot to get an overall pic will do that in the morning.

Sounds good Wes. I'll look for your post tomorrow. I'm usually online from noon-ish to midnight-ish EST.

Thanks,

Brian