BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My name is ***** ***** and I was still typing. Just a sec

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Douglas, My name is ***** ***** and I was still typing. Just a sec and I'll see if I can copy and paste.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Dang, can't. I just hooked up a Rinnai RUC90i. Water flows fine, but no ignition.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Unit is propane. I know there's gas to it; can smell when I take out the pressure test screw in the gas inlet port. Has Mixitrol RV48L regulator just upstream; house has Rego LV4403B66R 2nd stage. Only other gas connection is to stove, no pilots. Used to have AquaStar 180 on this connection. Water flows through fine at good velocity & amt, much more than 0.5 gpm. I think no ignition. Diagnostic codes all show "--", as if unit never really "started up". Not sure how to proceed. Is there some internal gas valve that needs to be opened? Owner's operation manual implies as much but I don't see any.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's a small glass "porthole" on the burner, with 3 connections to the left of it. One is labelled "IG" (upside down); farthest left is labelled "TR". Should I see burner / spark through the porthole? Is "IG" the igniter? If so, if disconnected (with gas shut off...) should it spark to ground when water flows?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there a minimum gas pressure sensor? Will it not ignite if inlet gas is below 8" psig? (I don't have a manometer at the moment).
Is there a minimum water pressure sensor? What happens if inlet pressure is < 50 psi? Inlet water pressure may be low, but I would expect both of the above issues to register an error code.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Website truncated last bit, probably because I typed a less than sign. Bad software, tell them to fix it. What happens if inlet water pressure is less than 50 psi?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have verified the gas inlet pressure is 12.14 psig.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Make that 12.14" W.C.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry your question has not been addressed yet. I just logged on and noticed no one has helped you yet. Do you still need assistance? Do not "Rate" as we have not worked towards an answer yet.

Let me know if you still need help.