Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I'm ***** *****, I have a Rheem Classic 90 Plus furnace that

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm ***** *****, I have a Rheem Classic 90 Plus furnace that I cant get started. Two green lights flashing twice. I pulled hose off the inducer and checked pressure switch, seems ok and did the same on both ends. The motor was very hot to the touch and I figured the motor was bad but when I replaced it its doing the same thing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what kid of details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure I can wait a few minutes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I need the actual model number of your furnace. It on the rating tag inside the burner compartment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not home at the moment
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, get me the info when you can b at the furnace to trouble shoot this. I'm online until ~7 pm EST. I do take breaks and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. If you want to troubleshoot later then just relist this question. Please do not pst a duplicate question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey not sure your still around but model number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I missed you last night but I am still having the issue.... Ive checked the condensate drain, pressure switch, vacuum switch both appear fine, printed out something from rheem and tried to follow, starting with gas valve and checking for voltage at the yellow wire and there wasn't any (according to print out that is the correct result). Any Ideas?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this is a draft pressure switch error so you need to check the exhaust vent for blockages, check the tubing connected to the switch (is it kinked, blocked , have water in it?), also check where the tubing connects to the furnace. You can poke a paper clip into the port where it connects to the furnace (not the switch). If you don't find anything you could have a bad switch or a weak draft inducer fan (is the fan running?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had replaced the inducer; the motor was red hot and I thought it was bad but after replacing it I found that not to be the case. Im not getting voltage to the inducer. I did pull the black hose and initially thought it was a blockage to the condensate cup as I blew into it and got resistance but cleared it up and tried again. Do you have a suggestion as to how to check the exhaust vent? its a 5 story building and I have a condo 3rd floor. Also, does ohming the pressure switches out tell me anything? the pressure switch has continuity until I break the seal and the other get continuity once I close the diaphram
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If the inducer isn't running then nothing else matters. If he inducer doesn't run nothing else will happen. If you have no power to the inducer and you have a call for heat (jump thermostat R & W on the control board to be sure) and no voltage to the inducer then the board is suspect or you have a bad connection between the board and the inducer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's kind of what I was afraid you were going to say; I have a call for heat the fan came on but nothing to the inducer. I checked for voltage at all the connections back to the board and got nothing.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The blower should not run with a call for heat until the burners fire up. If there was an open limit error the inducer should also run so a bad board is a likely culprit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the reason the inducer motor being so hot be from the capacitor?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Not likely and that's not relevant now with no power to the inducer