Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm ***** *****. I have an hold HVAC Honeywell thermostat

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** *****. I have an hold HVAC Honeywell thermostat that is on fritz, model T8411R 1002. Am looking to replace it w/ exact same thing, which a repairman tells me they aren't made anymore, or best replacement. Wondering if I can do it myself, have no skills but landlord will freak at the cost of a service.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: are you a real person? or a bot? My thermostat setting won't let me make the temperature colder/less, it goes up to 99 degrees F and it's stuck there. So it can't come on automatically overnight and turn off when room temp gets to where I want it set.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello

You may not actually need a new thermostat, in most cases it is the furnaces internal controls that are on the fritz, not the thermostat, tell me please why you suspect the thermostat?

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-1037.pdf

Follow the instructions on page 3, tell me if that is what you have or not, if it is what you have

take a photo of the thermostat wiring that is exposed when the front removed.

attach it here using the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar above, or the 'attach files' link to the left of your send button.

There is about 50% chance you wire, and program a replacement thermostat yourself if it turns out that you actually need the thermostat.