BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My name is ***** *****. I have a Trane system. Xe1000

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, My name is ***** *****. I have a Trane system. Xe1000 outside and XE90 inside. Last week during a heatwave, I set my thermostat to AC. I heard a buzzing noise from my XE1000 and noticed that the fan was not turning and was locked up. I replaced the fan and capacitor and it seems to run fine. When it got cold out and I set the thermostat to heat, I got no heat. The furnace lit up for a few seconds then shut down. the furnace will not reignite. There is a contant red light flashing about every half second or so. What do I check next? and could this be related to the problem I had with the XE1000 fan?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I set my thermostat to heat, the blower fan cycles on in the XE90 but the furnace fails to ignite
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

is the flashing light constant with a slow blink? And not in groups?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is. I assume that it is slow, about every half second or so.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...does your thermostat require batteries?

A slow blink = normal no call for heat..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, and when I set my thermostat to heat, the blower fan on my XE90 cycles on
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...and does the exhaust fan start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Can you feel the exhaust fan when the furnace is blinking, thermostat turned to heat and turned up....and tell me if warm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot feel the exhaust fan when light blinking and it is not warm
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...last question...

If you turn unit off by main power and turn back on 20 seconds later..does the furnace go directly to continuous flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you have a bad circuit board.

If there is a failure like pressure switch, limit, flame sense the furnace at least goes through start up and then faults.

Yours is faulting before a trial...you have a bad circuit board.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll try that next.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

If you need anything else let me know. After service is rated at top of page you have 30 days of followup

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy,
I replaced the control board on my XE90 and everything seems to cycle on OK except the furnace won't ignite, no heat. The exhaust fan doesn't come on and the red light does a slow constant blink which I believe means no demand for heat. As I mentioned before, my exterior unit (XE1000) motor locked up and shorted out. I got quite a jolt just touching the metal exterior housing. I replaced the motor and capacitor and now it cycles on ok. I suspect that maybe the XE1000 is sending a signal that no gas heat is necessary. I had no problems at all until my XE1000 acted up. Is there any way to disconnect the XE1000 from my XE90 so that it does not recognize a dual fuel and have the XE90 act independently that way, maybe We can isolate which unit is causing the problem? Stu Olson
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

on furnace circuit board where thermostat wires attach. Use a short wire shaped in a U and hold one end on R and other on W.