Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Have a 2007 Carrier 5ton roof top unit and heat exchanger

Customer Question

Customer: have a 2007 Carrier 5ton roof top unit and heat exchanger just went out ... should I replace the heat exchanger or buy a new unit .. about a $4000 difference
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: maybe this will help ... all I know Provide and install new Carrier 5ton Rooftop Gas Package Unit with damper and aluminum heat exchanger QUOTE $ 6996 Unit comes with 10year heat exchanger warranty, 5 year compressor warranty, 1 year parts warranty. Interstate AC Service provides one year labor warranty. I have a request into Lennox. They sometimes have equipment available that will fit on Carrier's existing roof curb. Due to the cost to replace heat exchanger and other major components that could fail in near future you are close to cost to replace the equipment.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure .. how do I pay for this?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

If it were my home, I would take the chance and replace just the heat exchanger. If it were for my business, with attendant loss of business if the AC quit, I would replace the entire system.

Its a close call either way.

Let me know more about these sorts of attendant circumstances and we can get into more detail.