Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I put too much water in the furnace... couldn't see the

Customer Question

Customer: i put too much water in the furnace... couldn't see the level. It is not draining, so how do i get the water out? Can Can I turn the furnace on with a lot of water in it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it's a gas furnace for steam heat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like you have a steam boiler and it's flooded. You won't get any heat if you turn it on and it's flooded. There should be a hose faucet/drain valve at the base of the boiler. Turn the power off to the boiler then keep draining the water until you can see it in the glass again. It may take a while.