Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have the following issue with my boiler. It runs fine.

Customer Question

I have the following issue with my boiler. It runs fine. radiators warm up and after a while, they shut down and become cold. The thermostat is still demanding heat, but radiators go cold.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Is the boiler still heating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
partially. I have 2 stories, 3 zones. the basement has 2 radiators. they are working fine now. the other two zones. not working at all, for the pat 2 hours. thermostats are set. circulators running, but radiators at the other 2 zones are cold. zone 1(1st fl) has 4 radiators.
zone 2 (2nd floor) has 7 radiators. they are all cold now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This boiler was installed about 7 years ago. I had this problem before, about two years ago. It seems that this only happens when it gets really cold and the boiler has to be running most of the time. At least that is the sense I get.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that could be wrong is the zone controller or the system could be sludged up. Can you see if the zone controllers are working as i think they are your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you see the pictures I sent you? zone controller meaning the argo system? the one where the wiring from thermostat goes in?
how so? the circulators are running when the thermostat demand heat. I have another argo system, but for two zones. I can replace and give it a try. -should I now?
although I a happened to notice that when only one zone is running, like the basement now, I could not leave my hand on the radiator more then 2 seconds, because it is very hot. but when I have multiple zones running. the radiators are not as hot.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help?