Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a 1950s floor heater. Lately it has been making a

Customer Question

I have a 1950s coleman floor heater. Lately it has been making a deep vibrating noise that's been getting louder and louder. I can get it to stop by putting pressure on the metal box. What could be wrong?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Since these units had no moving parts except for the gas valve the gas valve is one possible culprit. It's also possible that something has broken loose in the heat exchanger, possibly a baffle. So the first thing to do would be to pull the flue and look into the heat exchanger for loose sheet metal. I know this is going to be a challenge given where most of these heaters were installed but it's your only option short of replacing the gas valve which wouldn't be my prime suspect unless you canpinpoint te vibration to there

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Maybe this video will help. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace anything expensive.https://youtu.be/ES-iFYgBA7s
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Is that cover you're banging right above the gas valve and manifold? I assume this unit doesn't have a fan.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's the cover. Moving it around stops the vibration. Should I be worried about carbon monoxide?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

The vibration has nothing to do with CO. You should have CO detectors in the house regardless. This does't look like anything to be concerned about from what I can tell from the vid and your description. If the vibration is annoying you can try wedging something against that cover so it's not so loose that it can vibrate.