Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty
34748161

My propane gas furnace will fire up okay few days then it

Customer Question

My propane gas furnace will fire up okay for a few days then it will only start 20 seconds the flame lights and when the gas vale opens the flame dies out and will not start burning, it will run through the cycle 4 or 5 times till it finally starts to burn., then it will be okay for awhile and then all of a sudden it will not start up again. I turn the switch off and on to get it to run through the cycle to start it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Welcome.

By the symptoms you are providing, this sounds like the board is not getting a clear signal that the flame is present, so it is going into shut down mode, then resarting. You first should clean the flame sensor. NOT the ignitor. Use some steel wool or fine sandpaper and lightly clean off the carbon from this sensor. Let me know if this fixes it.

Thanks,

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Just a quick follow up to see if you have had a chance to clean the flame sensor or if you have any follow up questions or more info on your problem.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will find out tonight when the service man comes to clean the flame censor. Will get back to you with in two days.
Larry not Harold
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Ok Thanks for the reply. I will be waiting to hear what you have found.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My service man still didn't get here to clean the flame sensor. ????
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Service guy finally showed up and cleaned the flame censor but it didn't make a difference. Still will not start right away. When it does it Works for a day or two and acts up again, always in the wee hours of the morning. Have to turn the switch off and on and it starts sometimes after 2, 3, 4 try's.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and it will open to other experts. Intermittent problems are very hard to diagnose.