Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Rick. I'm having problem with my hydronic heating system

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Rick. I'm having problem with my hydronic heating system (baseboard)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It looks like the circulator is on the hot supply line. The return line is cold. There are purge valves after the circulator on hot line. Not sure how to purge them. Most videos are about having purge valves on return.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

The method is the same you shut off the valve below the hose drain then hook a hose onto the drain open the drain and put the feeder valve on fast fill. Turn off the boiler first. You let the water run for several minutes after the last of the bubble noise stops. Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Rick, I'm familiar with your suggestion as it is presented in several You Tube videos on this topic for a hydronic system with circulator, zone valve, and drain hose on the return line. However, it does not work for me because my circulator is on hot supply line and the return line has no hose drain. That was my reason for contacting you.Sadly, I have to say that I'm not satisfied with the answer and so we can close this conversation. I would appreciate if the $23 fee is credited back to my credit card. thanks.
regards, *****
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You didn't understand my instructions apparently. It doesn't matter if the purge station is on the supply or return. The principle is the same and if you did what I instructed you can purge your system.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Understanding the principle is not the issue here. I understand it quite well. I'm looking for step-by-step instructions on how to find where I can connect a hose pipe when there is no hose drain on the return line. And I don't see how connecting the hose pipe to hose drains on the supply side after circulator will help because then the water will flow out of the system without completing the zone loop.Anyway, I've decided to hire a plumber to take care of it.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

If you just followed my instructions you could have save yourself the cost of a plumber. Your assessment of water flow is incorrect. When you shut the ball valve off you force the water through the loop back up through the return and out the drain. If you want a refund contact customer service at
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us