BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Guy need the info on how to wire a aprilaire model 60

Customer Question

Customer: guy need the info on how to wire a aprilaire model 60 humidistat to a goodman MVC961005 furnace with a CKO communicating thermostat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the thermostat has only 4 wires to the furnace 2are communicating lines and the others are red and green the green goes to the common the humidifier is the 700 model
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. I just logged on and saw that no one had picked up your question yet.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wiring diagrams that I have found do not match my furnace set up with that thermostat that I have to make the humidifier control work correctly
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

This humidistat will not interface with the furnace wired as communicating. This control is different as it uses 24v input from equipment and 24v signal from furnace on heat cycle..BUT..you are wired for data and not 24v.

You will have to use a standard 2 wire humidistat with a sail switch..so when blower kicks on it activates 24v for humidifier..OR

You can use 24v from R or a transformer to HUM in in board and then HUM out to humidistat.

Either way it will not take this humidistat

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

and this does not mean the HUM 120v terminal...you can also use that with a transformer...but once again not with this humidistat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a two wire humidistat hooked to it when I would turn it up it would turn the blower of the humidifier on and the water solenoid would energize but there's no way to wire into the furnace on the board to turn the fan on on the furnace to circulate the air with the communicating thermostat I was under the impression that you could have the humidifier turn on when the furnace with call for heat but because the way its wired the green and 2 white terminals on the board are not being used
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you had it wired just for humidifier but not for when furnace was running. If you use the HUM in and HUM out...OR...wire a 24v transformer to HUM 120v....then the furnace turns on the humidifier..

You will need to wire with a 2 wire humidistat as I mentioned. And if you need any help or for me to make a drawing just let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the manual on a humidifier it needs 2 amps to run and the output for the 1:15 on the board is only rated at 1 max is the hum in or out that you're talking about 24 volts from the circuit board on the furnace that would replace the transformer for the humidifier to turn it on and off when the furnace would be on and off
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you likely have a fan powered humidifier which means it has 120v supply with a plug?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

but has to be activated with 24v?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the Aprilaire 700 model with the model 60 humidistat I thought that I explained that in my original issue that I was having with the wiring of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the thermostat that I have on the furnace is communicating comfort air CKO and when you scroll through the menu it does show a humidifier on off setting that you can use but I'm not sure how that is wired in through the furnace
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manuals and wiring diagrams I have on both the furnace and thermostat are not very explicit on how to wire in certain pieces of equipment I went through this while hooking up the central air unit that I have over the summer
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

the 2 amp is for the motor/blower which is run off the plug..not the board..the 1 amp board output is not a concern..also you already have a 24v in the humidifier. All you would need to do is runa wire from humiidifier to HUMin...then from HUMout run to humidistat..and then from humidistat go back yo remaining humidifier wire. This way the furnace is always running during a humidity call

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you do not need any power other than the plug...all we need is something to connect the low voltage wires....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to clarify what you just told me I would run a wire from the 24 volt output of the transformer to the humid in and the out to the humidistat humidistat back through the solenoid back to the transformer
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

you have 2 wires hanging loose at humidifier. They already come from a transformer inside the humidifier.

Run a wire from one of those loose wires to HUMin...then from humout runa wire to a humidistat. Then from remaining lug in humidistat back to humidifier remaining wire. I can draw diagram if you like

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A diagram would be nice but the two wires that come out of the humidifier energize the solenoid from the 24 Volt side of the transformer and according to my schematic the humid in and out or on the 1:15 side of the furnace control board
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

humin and out is nothing but a bridge..this closes during heat cycle.

One of the 2 small wires already has 24v...we do not need a transformer...it is inside the humidifier.

When that 24 returns to the other wire it kicks on blower and solenoid. If you simply touched the 2 small wires direct it would kick on the humidifier (if plugged in)....all we are doing is making the 24v go through a humidistat and furnace relay before coming back.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

give me a bit and I will send drawing

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Basic wiring for 700 series and using HUM in and out...NOT hum 120v terminal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying but there is no transformer in the humidifier it is separate and I have that wired to an on off switch the 24 volt output goes to the two wires that are hanging there and they feed into a relay inside the humidifier if the humid in and out is just a bridge then I could wire the output of the transformer on one side through the hum in then hum out to the humidistat out the humidistat to the solenoid out of the solenoid back to the transformer
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

do me a favor...plug in humidifier and touch the 2 brown wires direct together...tell me if blower kicks on. I think you are referring to the transformer that only feeds the 60 humidistat R and C as the humidistat needs a separate 24v to run it.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

look at this link...it is the circuit board with transformer inside the 700

Aprilaire 700

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

and here are 700 parts

Parts for 700

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing turns on when I put the two ground wires together I looked inside there is no circuit board
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well I have installed plenty 700s and even have one in my own home. They have all had a transformer built onto a circuit board.

You must have a different variation or something I have never seen...every powered humidifier I have done has the 24v inside aswell as all the 700 parts diagrams.

I will have to opt out as I do not understand what you have. The transformer supplied is generally just to power R and C on the humidistat...not to run humidifier.

I wish you the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm not sure if this is a brand new one that doesn't need it and has a separate transformer I bought it through Johnstone supply it's a model 700 says whole house humidifier with premium digital control automatic and manual mode option there is no transformer its just a relay inside the 110 goes to the relay the fan is plugged into the relay and the 24 volts supplies power to close the relay and then supply 110 to the fan and open the solenoid that's all I can say is its nothing unusual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the hum in and out has no power to it from the board and is just a feed Thur then no problem I do not want to ruin the board