Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an on going problem of upstairs being too hot with

Customer Question

I have an on going problem of upstairs being too hot with Carrier dual zoned model Ca13/CA16 in my two story home.It's been three years in this new built home, and it has been most problematic when it comes to winter, 80°F downstairs, which is fine, but it would make upstairs 88°F even when upstairs is not running.
We have tinted all the upstairs windows, and had technicians from two different companies came out over a dozen times, they made adjustments on air speed, vents, took measurements of space in each room and balance air flow, added additional damper... I've lost track of all the things that have been done but nothing has made even a slightest improvement.
I don't know who to turn to, and I hope you can give me a little guidance.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The latest we've been told, that was yesterday, is that downstairs not heating up fast enough, so units blowing hot air for long periods of time for downstairs, when the excess hot air goes to return, built up pressure makes the hot air going out from any possible space upstairs. The technician who came out yesterday said he blocked 60% of air upstairs and it should help some, but that doesn't do anything, this morning both upstairs and downstairs temperature are exactly the same as any other day.
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 11 months ago.

This is a common problem in two story homes. Have you relied running ceiling fans. Where is return located in the house. Russ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are two rooms upstairs, only one has and runs ceiling fan; there's also one full bath, the rest is just hallway leading to a high ceiling area where the staircase is located.
Three returns for downstairs are in the kitchen, living room, and bedroom; upstairs only has one, in the hallway right by the atrick entrance.

Sorry emergency calls. Do you have heat pump or gas unit. Single stage or two stage. The reason I ask in a zone system in a two story house you always install 2 stage system. Russ