HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Having trouble diagnosing a pressure switch on a

Customer Question

Having trouble diagnosing a pressure switch on a g1d91b2075d128-1
Serial 8404k08521. This furnace was installed horizontally, my no heat call yesterday showed a 3 code, pressure switch open with inducer on. I thought wow, I lucked into an easy call. Went to my truck, picked out a .70 pressure switch, put it on, same problem. Tried a different switch, same problem. Checked the pressure and it would vary from 1.8 to 2.5. Hooked up my digital meter to the switch to see what was happening, it showed the switch was closing but not fast enough. Put my old analog meter on the switch and what I found was when the inducer started, me meter went to about 1/2scale for about 2 seconds, then fully closed. By the time it closed, the board had it locked out. I bypassed the pressure switch using a fuse to jump the circuit plugging it in shortly after the inducer started and the furnace ran fine. Why am I getting a delay on the switch?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Is the port clear and the tube really clean..also check the outside exhaust port for any blockages that would slightly restrict the exhaust airflow. If all that is good you may have a bad inducer motor or the seal by the inducer motor could be bad. I would check the other stuff first then you may need a new inducer.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks