airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a trane split system short cycling in heat pump mode

Customer Question

I have a trane split system short cycling in heat pump mode what could cause this
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 11 months ago.

Are both indoor and outdoor short cycling or just one or the other and how long will it run and how long off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just outdoor and about 15 seconds on and off

Do you have refrigerant gauges so we can see what pressures are doing? Most of the time the outdoor will short cycle due to high or low pressure.The unit has a low pressure switch that will shut it off if refrigerant charge is low,indoor fan not moving air across evaporator or dirty filter drier and it has a high pressure switch that will shut it off if metering device fails, blocking flow of refrigerant, dirty outdoor coil or outdor fan not coming on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I put them on and pressures in heat was around 600 psi I switched to cool and pressures was 210 hi and 125 low just put it back to heat and hasn't cut off yet but I'm noticing the pressures going up and compressor amps
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It just shut down when pressure hit 600 and cuts back on at 450 do you think overcharged

I suspect the metering device on indoor coil is not opening causing high head pressure in heat mode. If refrigerant was overcharged we would have higher pressures in cool mode also.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
System was overcharged had to calibrate my gauges was off I removed about 1lb of refrigerant and system is running good in both heating and cooling thanks

Good deal.Let me know if you have any more issues I am here