airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Trane XV80. The flu has been replaced but since

Customer Question

I have a Trane XV80. The flu has been replaced but since then the flu sensor, a bimetallic with a reset button pops frequently. The tech says that this is a redundant feature and that he could bypass it to keep the system running. Can this be done?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 11 months ago.

It is never a good idea to bypass any limit permanently.If the switch is defective it should be replaced with a new one,not bypassed.It is possible the new one you got is defective. But if switch is proven to be good, there is an issue causing it to trip and must be addressed for safety.Bypassing may cause carbon monoxide to back up in house and be deadly. NEVER NEVER NEVER let anyone bypass a limit switch!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is what I had expected.

There is a door switch on bottom door that kills power to furnace to keep you from putting hand inside. It would not be so unsafe to bypass that as common sense tells you not to stick hand in fan, but other than that and especially a safety limit should never be bypassed.Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.