HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

My name is ***** ***** and I'm having trouble with my plus

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** ***** and I'm having trouble with my Bryant plus 80t furnace
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The igniter won't glow Both the small and large blowers are working fine I just did a cycle - turned off gas, turned off power, etc...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked the resistance of the HSI and it's around 99 ohms. The furnace was working earlier tonight. I turned it off to check the blowers and when I turned the gas and electricity back on, it stopped working.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Can you check if the ignitor has power to it when the unit comes on and the exhaust fan starts up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I check if the ignitor has power to it? I just found out that I'm getting an error code #32 (3 short and 2 long LED blinks)

That is a pressure switch fault, is the exhaust fan running and is the rubber tube and port clear from the inducer housing to the pressure switch. The port where the rubber tube connects often gets blocked or the exhaust port itself could be blocked, check that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The small blower is running. I checked the ignitor - disconnected the HSI wires and put my multimeter on voltage and measured the female plug - no voltage. I am not sure how to check if the rubber tube and port clear from the inducer housing

Find the rubber pressure tube on the exhaust blower housing and pull it off and see if the port is clear.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok. give me a minute

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I removed the tube from both the housing and sensor - it's clear. I blew through the tube. I also disconnected the smaller rubber tube between the two sensors and that is clear. There's a metal tube that the rubber tube connects to in the exhaust housing and that appears clear too.

Ok check the exhaust port outside to make sure it is clear and you can feel air moving out when the exhaust fan is on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I check that? Do I need to remove the metal pipe that is screwed onto the housing?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

You can or just go outside and check the pipe at the outlet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's on my roof - need a ladder. Give me a few more minutes.

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just removed the pipe from the housing. It seems to blow a little air - not a ton although I'm not sure what "normal" is like.

If it is blowing air then the pressure tube port should have a slight vacuum on it. If so you likely have a bad pressure switch on the unit that is where the tube connects to on the other end. If so you can try to bypass it to see if it works by connecting the 2 wires to the pressure switch together when the fan comes on for a call for heat If it starts up and lights then replace the pressure switch.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there appears to be 2 pressure switches. which one do I connect the 2 wires between? There's a "Low Fire" and "High Fire" and they both say BA20115

The Low fire one

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I connected the two wires from the back of the Low Fire switch and I got a #23 error - "pressure switch did not open"

You have to do it in order (sequence), wait until the fan comes on and then put them together.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I need to wait for the fan to come on and then connect the two wires while the fan is running? I connected the two wires and then turned the unit on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got it. I will try that

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I got the HSI to come on by bypassing the pressure switch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Seems like a bad pressure switch from process of elimination
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I need to replace both switches on the unit or can I just replace the Low Fire switch?

Just replace the low fire one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. I will try to find one in the morning. I appreciate your help.

ok np