Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Our Merit Series 13HPX heat pump did not turn on this fall

Customer Question

Our Merit Series 13HPX heat pump did not turn on this fall when it was supposed to be providing heat. Now it is winter and the furnace is not turning on. Only the "AUX HEAT" is activating. All circuit breakers are on and the gas furnace (G61MPV) filter is replaced every
two months when it begins to turn off-white. There are new batteries in the thermostat. The gas furnace was providing heat this fall. This was a new installation in 2008 in a Pulte home. We have had regular "cleaning and maintenance" by licensed contractor. What can be wrong with our equipment?
Uncle Dave is asking;
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Dave please give me the model on your outdoor unit and let me know if everything works fine in cooling, just not in heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I wrote in my question, the outdoor unit is the Lennox Merit Series 13HPX heat pump. It functioned perfectly in cooling, which it did intermittently with heating by the Lennox gas furnace during the fall months. It did not do any heating in the fall. The gas furnace did all the heating. Now that it is winter, the furnace is not turning on and the house is cold.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Dave I got the message that your unit is in the 13HPX series, but as an engineer, you probably already know there will be several models within that series.To provide accurate information I will need the model off of the outdoor unit.

Next the question is slightly confusing so I need you to help me out here. You state that the AUX Heat is activating, yet the aux heat is the gas furnace which you say is not coming on. Are you saying the thermostat shows AUX on but in reality nothing is coming on(NO heat pump or gas heat)?

If heat pump was not heating as it should, but relying on the gas heat and now that has stopped , you may have more than one issue.

Lets concentrate on one at a time. Get me that model requested and let me know if you have a multi meter for troubleshooting and we will go from here.