Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an older Williamson furnace. the pilot light is out

Customer Question

Customer: I have an older Williamson furnace. the pilot light is out and I can't remember where to exactly to relight it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It says to turn off the electric, turn the thermostat down to the lowest setting...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

First we need to determine of it has a pilot you light manually or if it has electronic ignition. Go to the gas control valve an tell me if the indicators on he dial are ON, OFF & PILOT or just ON & OFF?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Before going on vacation my boyfriend turned off the gas to the furnace. When I turned the gas back on, it is making a whistling noise. Is that normal and can I go ahead and light the furnace? Thanks!
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

It's making a noise before you light it? did you check the gas valve dial indicators?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't see any gas valve dial indicators.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Can you give me a picture of the furnace? you can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am nit home right now
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

But you left it shut off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but will send the picsI have. They are dark.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

I can't see anything. Try again when you get home. I'll respond as soon as I can.