Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Recently had my gas company come out to replace the riser on

Customer Question

Recently had my gas company come out to replace the riser on my meter. As part of the process, they had to come in to ensure my furnace was working properly after work completion. My furnace was working properly prior to the work, but failed to ignite after. A service company was sent out and I was informed the control board was bad and this was unrelated to the work. The control board was replaced and now my furnace continues to experience intermittent problems. Company now telling me I need a new furnace. Furnace is 15 years old, Goodman GMP 100-4rev-B. Cycles on, igniter glows red, intermittently burners do not ignite x 3 cycles of the igniter. If I cycle power off and back on cylce completes, rarely fails a second time, but commonly takes two or three igniter cycles to light.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Since you've already spent the money on a new board it seems unconscionable that the service company would tell you you need a new furnace. Granted intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose but this one sounds like it could be an iffy connection most likely the on the cable supplying power to the gas valve. Since you have a new board a bad connector on the board is very unlikely. A bad connector at the valve is possible so is a bad cable between the board and the valve.