Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Coleen. I replaced the control board of my carrier system

Customer Question

Customer: Coleen. I replaced the control board of my carrier system due to ac isssues in July. now the furnace will not stay on, flashes code 4 2. tech says it is missing a memory chip for the heater and that the safety switch also needs replaced. im not sure I trust these people
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Heater turns on but will not stay on. When you open the control board the light flashes 4 times and then twice
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Coleen, I am Kevin one of the Tech's here on JA.

Can I get the model # ***** your furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will be awhile, I am currently at work, heading home soon, hope to provide the answer to you by 0900
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
58CVA/CVX
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

HI, it's Kevin from JA, I just got your message, reviewed your manual, and a code 4 2 does not exist. I don't know which direction to point you in at this time. I would have a technician come out and begin testing the circuitry, the original tech may be right, there may be something missing from the board, but I cannot be sure of this without doing some testing with a meter to actually see what is holding out the flame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the arrives information line. The code 42 refers to the safety system switch which indeed had to be replace. The last company I had out failed to transfer over a memory chip for the furnace.
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Everything I saw did not have a code 4 2. You got the furnace up and running now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. I called the carrier company.