Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

Our refrigerator has set nine months in storage. We plugged

Customer Question

Our refrigerator has set for around nine months in storage. We plugged it in today after moving from storage and it will not get cold. The unit worked fine before unplugging for storage. The fan comes on and is moving air in the freezer. There is a fan located in the back bottom left of the unit and it is turning, blowing cold air. The compressor feels like it comes on. When I disconnect the power to the compressor it turns off and when reconnected the compressors feels like it is coming on. Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service!

I need to get some info about your fridge.

Please provide the model number off the label in the food section on the wall.

Is the fan running in the back by the compressor when you think it is running?

You may need to take the panel off inside the freezer. Can you do this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will take a few for the model number. The fridge is at my sons house. He is looking. And yes the fan is running in the back by the compressor.

If the fan is running, then the compressor should be running also. It jives with your statement so you have to get into the freezer and remove the back panel to expose the cooling coil. I am interested to see if there is any frost forming on coil.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That will have to wait until tomorrow as I will need to go to my sons house to see. If there is frost on the coil, then what?

It all depends on how much frost is on the coil. If the coil is only partially frosting up, it would indicate that you have a problem with the freon charge. That would not be a good thing and is what I consider a deal breaker on repairs. It just cost too much to track down and repair a gas leak and it generally never comes out to well in the long run. If the coil is frosted, then the fridge should be working.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had nick turn the fridge off for 24 hrs. Turned back on. There is no frost on the coils. The compressor is coming on and fridge us still not getting cold. The top of the compressor is getting warm

If there is no frost on the coils and the compressor is running, the problem is the unit is low on freon or it has no freon. The compressor would be quite hot if there was gas in the system.

This is a serious problem and it would be unlikely that the cost of tracking down a leak and repairing it would be justified compared to just replacing it, unless this is a unit that is more than $1000 .

_______________________________________________________________________

If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you take the time to rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting one of the 5 stars or the Smiley Face to rate my help to you and me personally (not the site or the condition of your appliance) before you leave today.
I thought I would add, that many people think the payment they placed is sent to me after I answer their question. But,it is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then JA credits me for my time working with you.
Thanks for the opportunity to help you out and feel free to come back to this question anytime with no additional charges after rating and your position will be saved. Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required, unless you feel I have given you exceptional service.
Many Thanks
Don

Hi David,

I see that you did not rate my answer to the problem you were having with your refrigerator.

Was there any other information that I can provide or any questions that you still have?