Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an old heil Quaker heat pump. I have lived in my home

Customer Question

I have an old heil Quaker heat pump. I have lived in my home for 15 yrs and it was here when I moved in. I keep it serviced and have beeen told by the technicians it is in great shape. The only problem I have with it is when the the temp outside is below freezing it will sometime make what sounds lie a loud taping noise. I have had service men trying to find the problem but it want do it when they are here. Most of the time I can turn the themostat down until the pump stop running and leave it off for a while and then turn the thermostat back up and it will run normal sometime this work and sometime it don't what could be my problem?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 11 months ago.

What is the model on he outdoor unit? And when it is making this noise is the outdoor fan and compressor both running or is it I defrost mode?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The model number have worn off. When it makethe tapping or clicking noise the aux (yellow light) on the thermostat will flicke. it never does this when the air conditioner is running. It still heat the house while doing this.

Sounds like the clicking may be the defrost board. Notice next time and see if outdoor fan shuts off.The elements inside will take over during defrost.