Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have gas forced air furnace and a Honeywell thermostat.

Customer Question

I have gas forced air furnace and a Honeywell thermostat. Recently, the furnace comes on with no regard to the thermostat settings. I just now turned it to the OFf setting because the furnace came on in the middle of the afternoon when the setting indicates it should come on only if room temp is below 58. Where should I begin trouble shooting. Do I need a new thermostat? Or?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Check the wiring at the thermostat. If the leads on R & W are touching anywhere the furnace will run. That includes a short in the wall so the only way to rule that out is to disconnect R & W and see if the furnace still comes on. If the random turn ons continue or if they are too infrequent to disconnect the thermostat then replacing it is probably the best thin to do particularly if the thermostat is old.