Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Furnace blowing cold air. I pulled the panel and the light

Customer Question

Bryant furnace blowing cold air. I pulled the panel and the light is blinking agree short blinks and one long. What is wrong?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Error 31 indicates the pressure switch is not closing. Does the small inducer vent motor come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's a small inducer vent
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is the small motor where vent attaches to furnace.It has to pull a vacuum on the pressure switch.Will lok similar to the one in piture

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower was working. I flipped the switch it blew for awhile but not now.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

This small motor.Turn power off to furnace to rest board then back on and tell me if this small motor is coming on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the motor isn't spinning but the unit is running after I turned it back on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That little motor has to run for furnace to work. Might be hard to tell , but if furnace is running, that motor has to be.Lets watch and see if it fails again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just started spinning and then stopped again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now error blinking light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the switch for on and off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still notnresolved
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you gone?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes that switch turns power off and on.

When you turn power off and on it resets the control board in furnace.

On call for heat, that small motor I am referring to (Not circulating blower) must come on and stay on the entire heating cycle, closing and holding closed by vacuum the pressure switch.If that small motor does not run or stops, pressure switch will open and burners will not light or will go out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it need to be replaced?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me verify.You are saying that small vent motor does not run or stay running correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK our next step is to (using a volt meter), determine if we are losing power to that small motor.If we are losing power to the motor we need to determine why. If not losing power to motor, but it is not running,then motor will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a volt meter. Thais may not work out
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Without a meter will be hard to troubleshoot.We can troubleshoot here many times and save you some money.Problem is I depend on you to be my hands and eyes and provide necessary tools and test equipment.For me to troubleshoot without you having a meter would be compared to a tech showing up at your house without his tools and test equipment. The very best he could do would be to guess at the problem.

You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This website has an extreme delay in receiving your responses so waiting for the replies was a little frustrating. Even though the time stamp is accurate when I actually receive the reply was another story. I ended up hiring an HVAC tech. The motor was bad. The bearing sleeve is sticking. The impeller was cracked. All needs to be replaced. House is freezing until he can source the part on Monday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gunk if I continued with this route it would have taken far too long and testing that wasn't needed To no fault of yours. I'm the eyes and ears. A bolt meter was never needed. The HVAC tech could hear over the phone that the fan shouldn't be rattling and when he came out it all made sense. I really needed a phone call and an on site visit. Thank you for your time even though the conversation wasn't a successful one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto spell check errors.