Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My name is ***** ***** my question is this, i changed the

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** my question is this, i changed the blower motor in my air handler. The original was a 5 wire harness with 2 brown wires for the capacitor. The new motor is a 4 wire with the orange wire missing. i wired the motor into the plug black on black blue on blue red on red yellow on orange and plugged the unit in the heater coils heat up but the fan will not run in auto. If i place the switch in the fan position on the thermostat the motor will run. the question is why will the motor not come on in the auto position on the thermostat.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the original issue was the blower motor bearings froze up in the old motor but the unit was working until i changed the motor and re installed the air handler
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes ill wait thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 11 months ago.

What is make of air handler . What is model number of thermostat. Russ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Inter therm e2eb-012ha
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I hooked up old motor and u it runs but kicks on in auto but the motor drags

Here is service manual . I am checking wiring now.

Can you attach photo of new motor wires. Also do you have a digital thermostat. Russ Be here for 3 more hours or 1:30 CST

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The old motor worked kicked on and ran but the bearings are bad in it.

Do you have a yellow from furnace going to plug. Russ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is a yellow wire coming from the female part of the cap plug going to fan relay or some kind of switch the cap plug on the left in this picture has the yellow wire going to the relay/ switch

Yellow from your plug Should go to black on motor. Disconnect blue and red on motor tape off. Try heat. Russ

Did you get service manual with schematic. Russ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got it. I talked to a local AV/ heat tech he said attach blue and yellow together and the new motor caught on fire. Waiting on replacement motor now

If you look at schematic in the manual that should match your unit. If you connect yellow on motor to orange like you have it and yellow on plug to black it will work. Just disconnect the blue and red and tape off. Russ

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I'll give it a try. New motor should be here in a bit. Will the motor come on in auto position on the thermostat if wired that way ? I know the blue red and yellow wires are speed control I've tried yellow on orange and yellow on blue the second burned up the motor. At a hundred dollars a pop I can't afford to many more motors.

Get back with me when you get new motor. Russ