Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I got a reach-in freezer, r- 502, 1/3 hp, cap tube, bad

Customer Question

i got a reach-in freezer, r- 502, 1/3 hp, cap tube, bad compressor. want to change whole condensing unit and relocate within 10'. can i use a r-12 condensor of the same size? cap tube function is what im worried about.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

You can use the R12 condenser if it is also low temp but you will have to change the metering device. If it were me, I would remove the cap tube and install a proper TXV instead of trying to find, or using trial and error to replace the cap tube. It may not be easy to find a TXV that will work though. You may be better off using an R404a low temp condensing unit and you shouldn't have to change the cap tube. Either way you need to make sure you put a new filter drier in the system!

Thanks,

Brian