Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Furnace comes on fan does not come fan motor has electronic

Customer Question

Furnace comes on fan does not come fan motor has electronic motor control how do we fix that
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 11 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

Can you please send me the make and model number of your furnace?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nordyne R6GD-X30KO72X serial no R6F110100050

Thank you for that. Please allow me a few moments to pull up the manual and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an outside package
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Think it maybe capacitor but do not know if blower fan has one or where it is located

Thanks for that info. I'm locating the manual now and I'll be able to tell you much more about your blower.

Ok, phew that took longer than I expected! Your unit has what is called an X13 ECM (Electronically Commutated Motor) which is a variable speed motor. It does not have the standard run capacitor like older motors did. It does have some capacitors in the electronic speed drive end of the motor but they are not user serviceable, they are part of the electronics of the speed control.

With all that said, if you have a volt meter, knowledge of its use and are comfortable probing points hot inside the unit on the control board, we can do some simple probing and determine whether it's your thermostat, control board or the motor itself that's the problem.

Let me know how you want to proceed and I'll help anyway I can!

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks where can I get a Manuel, if it is the circuit board what do u do about it

Click Here for a link to all the documentation for your unit. If the control board has failed it will need replaced. The X13 motor is a little simpler to diagnose than a full blown variable speed motor. The control board simply sends 24Vac signals to one of the five speed terminals on the motor then there is a 24Vac common to the motor. If the board is not sending the 24 volt signal when it should be, it is defective. If the control board is sending the 24volt signal and the motor has high voltage to it (as it should at all times), the motor is defective and will need replaced.

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian