Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a twinned trane xl80. I am trying to install a

Customer Question

I have a twinned trane xl80. I am trying to install a Honeywell 9000 wi fi thermostat. I have an extra wire I can use as a c wire. I also have a air conditioner and humidifier hooked up in the system. When I wire it in I get no power to the 9000. On the furnace when I try a volt meter on c and r it blows the fuse on the furnace. When I look at the wiring diagram it talks about a relay needed if the thermostat is over 1 amp, which I do not believe it to be. Thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 11 months ago.

Good evening Tom, I am Kevin.

When you say twinned? you have two furnaces?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2 next to each other. I am going to have to finish this tomorrow.

ok, I will open it up. I am working tomorrow.... you can try to get me in the morning...... 5:30am eastern USA......

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I am pacific so will write about noon eastern if that is OK.

I have opened it up to other technicians if I am not here they may be able to help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Kevin, it is going to get down to 5 degrees here tonight and I am leaving for a week. If you think this is a easy fix we can do it today. If you think it is going to be more complicated, I would like to hold off 10 days or so. Thank you for your help. Tom

Hi Tom, Sorry I was out on service all day long today.

If you would like to wait, that is fine. I would rather someone be there for a few days in case there is a problem, if you are leaving for 10 days, we can get to it as soon as you get back. Even though it shouldn't be difficult to do, if something is wired incorrectly, it could blow a fuse and leave you without heat. Would rather you have the time to attack it and get something needed. with the holidays and all, might be a better idea to wait. But it's up to you if you would like to attempt tonight.