BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have installed an outdoor furnace and I need to hook up a

Customer Question

Customer: I have installed an outdoor wood furnace and I need to hook up a thermostat to just rum my blower on my Carrier Furnace. Any idea how I would go about that?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just need the blower on the furnace to run to circulate the heat produced from the outside wood furnace. Right now I have to physically go to the original thermostat and turn on the blower when we need heat. I want to add an additional thermostat that will activate the blower only.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I won't mind paying if your answer works and i understand it.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 11 months ago.

hello,

in the furnace you will attach 2 thermostat wires to R and G.

Then in the thermostat you choose to use you will wire the R wire to R....and the other wire to W.

So the R wire attaches to R at both ends...but the other attaches to W in thermostat and G in furnace.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My furnace doesn't have R G or any other Letters. It has numbers 1234 please see pictures that are attached

bottom right side labeled noncommunicating thermostat

I see G will be utilized a different way...can you tell me the model number of the furnace please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a Bryant not a Carrier sorry. Model FE4ANF005

there is a chance that this is a air handler not capable of standard fan switch. If this is a 100% communicating system we may have an issue...the abcd, 1234 type wiring is data...not a 24v communication system.

Ok got model number and will check...just a moment

ok, do you mind a hands on test?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you need me to do?

your unit is set up for communication data.

But I want to see if the standard r, y, c, w etc will engage a blower relay. On your board...not the diagram....is there a G in the line of R,Y,W,O,C?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

well this one stumped me.

the system you have is communicating which means all heat, cool, fan, humidity is through your infinity wall control. This is not standard 24v.

Some systems are a hybrid...capable of either...yours is not. I have never added a secondary noncommunicating thermostat to a communicating system. I have done tons of wood burners and controls.....but not a fan control for wood burner on a communicating system. I will opt out and see if anyone has an idea without messing with the communication system