Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

SHOULD I DRAIN OFF WATER PERIODICALLY WHEN BOILER IS COLD IN

Customer Question

SHOULD I DRAIN OFF WATER PERIODICALLY WHEN BOILER IS COLD IN ORDER TO GET WATER LEVEL DOWN TO THE LINE/ IF SO, HOW OFTEN?
WATER LEVEL IS ABOVE THE TOP OF THE SIGHT GLASS.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If the boiler is being used as a steam boiler, the water level is set too high. Adjusting the water level on a steam boiler must be done by the book. Your boiler may also be marked with Hi and Lo water levels.

Tell me a lot about your technical background so that I can coach you most effectively.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

You do not, and should not drain the boiler when cold or otherwise to bring the water level down, this is a water level adjustment or defective water level control issue.

Ideally the same water should stay in the boiler for years, draining and adding new water introduces oxygen and minerals that cause corrosion and other problems.

If none of this is in your skill set, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will see if I can locate a well rated boiler outfit for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phil,Your answer is sufficient to tell me to leave things alone. If anything else comes up, I will contact the installer from 5 years ago.Thank you for your service.Ed
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, good luck with it,

If you choose to rate my assistance the company will pay me for my time, rating however will not increase your charges, but is how I earn a living.