Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have an old Singer Furnace It is hard to read but I think

Customer Question

Customer: I have an old Singer Furnace It is hard to read but I think it is a Model GB 104-1 What's happening is that you can light the pilot light and it will stay on till you turn the value to the on position at which time it turns off the pilot light
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am trying to light my furnace. You turn the valve to pilot, hold the button and light the pilot. the pilot will stay light at this point. When you turn the valve to the "on " position then the pilot light will go out so the furnace will not function
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

Can you tell me is this a standing pilot furnace? That is, pilot is on all the time. If so, have you tried to replace the thermocouple?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pilot is on all the time. I have not replace the thermocouple as the pilot will stay on when the button is released. It is not until you try to turn the valve to the on position that the pilot goes out
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, that is the first thing you need to do as thermocouple's should be replaced annually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that but I do have a couple questions. Question- if the thermocouple is bad why would the pilot stay on when the button is released? Second- That will take some time to get one, what is the process after I do that, if it does not solve the problem?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The pilot stays on because the thermocouple is marginal in it's output. It's possible the valve could be bad, as well, since this is a very old furnace. But I like to start simple and since I know thermocouples should be replaced every year, I'd like to start with that. You actually should be able to pick up a comparable thermocouple at any hardware or home improvement store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get one-about the second question-what is the process after I do that, if it does not solve the problem?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If it doesn't solve it, the next step would be to replace the valve. Since Singer has been out of the furnace business for years, you will not be able to get the original part, so we will have to find a generic valve that will work in your situation. This question (and chat) remain open, so feel free to post back when ever you want.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.