HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have an issue with my York diamond 90 the flame won't go

Customer Question

Hi Douglas, i'm Gabri, I have an issue with my York diamond 90 the flame won't go on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Does the igntor glow? You should hear the exhaust fan come on and then the ignitor should glow. If the fan is coming on check for power to the ignitor, it was common for them to break on that unit and that may be the cause of the not heat. Let me know what you find.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am quite lost here where do I find the ignitor?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I know really little about this topic

In the first pic you will see the two wires going to a white quick connector off the bottom left are under the burner do you see that? That is the ignitor. Check that and see if it looks good with no cracks and I would check it with a ohm meter as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it seems like it in really good conditions but can't test it because I have no meter

Ok does the exhaust fan run when there is a call for heat? Also can you check the board for any flashing error code?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does and yes 3 flashes, it says the pressure is locked open I tryied to clean it no water inside, replaced the ignitor and the sensor really out of clues now

OK there is a rubber tube that runs between the inducer(exhaust blower) housing and the pressure switch, remove the tube from the inducer housing and check the small port where it connects for a blockage, also check the outside exhaust vent for a blockage. Then inspect the rubber tube itself for cracks or holes, one of these is likely causing the issue if the exhaust blower is coming on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tryied all of that but the tubes look pretty new and couldn't find any blockage and it's still blowing cold air. Is there any way to start it manually?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would pictures be more helpful?

If you remove the rubber tube do you feel some suction from the port when the exhaust fan comes on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

Ok if you go outside is there air coming out of the exhaust vent?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where would that be located? I'm in an apartment building and would assume that the exhaust is combined with the ones from the other apartments

Can you remove the exhaust pipe off the unit just to test it and see if it fires with the exhaust pipe off?If it does then you have a blockage in the pipe, you can not run it with the exhaust pipe off at all, but just to test it briefly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cannot remove it because is all glued in place, is there any other way to figure it out

You would have to get to the exhaust vent, if you get no suction at the port the exhaust is probably blocked. Often a bird will build a nest in the end of the pipe causing that issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Then I'll have to wait till the morning for my super, I'll try then

Just let me know if you need anything else.