Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

My amana 80 wont stay lit. I cleaned the flame sensor - and

Customer Question

Customer: My amana 80 wont stay lit. I cleaned the flame sensor - and it the flame still cuts out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: furnace is in garage. Self installed. Works find for last couple years. Then today it wont stay lit. Flames come on and they cuts out a couple seconds later.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

A Scotchbrite pad is the best way to clean a flame rod. Make sure there is nothing on the ceramic part of the flame rod as this can bleed current to ground and stop the current from getting to the control. A good solid ground is also very important to the furnace and to the controller itself. Flame rectification depends on a good ground all the way through the circuit! Of course in order for the flame rod to send enough current to the control, the rod must be in a good steady and solid blue flame!

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian