airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Alarm is going off on my train XR80. I am in the Dallas Area

Customer Question

Customer: Alarm is going off on my train XR80. I am in the Dallas Area and we are getting alot of rain and there is water on the filter and at bottom of floor. which we are cleaning
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: trane XR80. Alarm inside of unit wont go off. has a good solid flame, water on filter. Goes on when the heater goes off Thanks Kathleen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 11 months ago.

Katherine what type of alarm are you referring to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
from the Trane xr80. Like a loud beeping like a smoke alarm. Thought it was my carbon monxide/fire alarms from the hallway but it was coming from the heater. The flame is good, filter was changed last week.

The furnace itself does not have an alarm.I suspect this is something that was installed by installation company in the field. Could be a float switch or something.Can you provide a picture of this alarm?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know what it looks like. All I did was open everything up, aired it out and took the filter out and put it back in . Cleaned water off of filter and floor. turned the thermostat down, then turned it off for a few minutes and and just turned it on and the alarms is not going.

I am not sure exactly what the alarm is unless as mentioned, the installer installed some type of a water level alarm.The Trane XR 80 does not have any type of audible alarm from factory.There is a control board that has blinking lights to indicate a problem but nothing audible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is quite now. I guess I will call the home warranty company to send some one out tomorrow if possible. I am hoping it is the 6 inches of rain with heavy wind am getting that is causing this problem. Thanks. I just wanted the alarm to go off.

If you have any more problems se if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from exactly and we will go from there.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.