Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm having problems with my outdoor unit fan running and the

Customer Question

I'm having problems with my outdoor unit fan running and the only way to shut off is by the breaker. I have a heat pump and I also have the thermostat disconnected from the wall
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

So far it sounds like the contacts in the big relay that sends power to the compressor and fan motor are burned and have welded themselves shut.

If you are safe around high voltage power, turn the power off to the unit and remove the service panel on the unit that covers all of the electrical controls... follow the two very heavy wires that come from the disconnect switch on the wall outside of the unit... they will land directly on terminal 1 and terminal 2 of that contactor (marked T1 and T2), a close examination will show that the contacts are worn badly, and have welded together.

There is a 98% chance of that being the case, take a look, tell me what you find, attach a photo if like using the paper clip icon on right end of the tool bar above.. and I will coach you further and tell you how to order the new part ( $50 item or a bit less).

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished,if my answer has been polite, professional, and thorough,please locate the 'rate your expert button' and click one of theratings .If you still need help let me know!.

Rating will not increase your charges, nor close the question, but is how I earn my living.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relay looks fairly new and I don't see any weld spots is that something that will happen internally? I tried to attach a pic let me know if you are seeing it
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

http://screencast.com/t/5MdJi6CSID

you can take that contactor to Grainger Industrial Supply, or Johnstone Supply and get replacement, they will want to see it to be sure you get the correct one. Price for the complete assembly, 24 volt coil and all will be under $50.

Meantime, you can use a file to clean up the burnt contacts if anything remains of them (pure silver pads) and get by for a few months until you can replace the contactor.