Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Wiring my Criterion Gass Furnace to a nest. I only have a

Customer Question

Customer: Wiring my Criterion Gass Furnace to a nest. I only have a red yellow ( which acts as a white) and green wire. If I put the red in the R spot on the nest one it goes from the starting to sire up to the burn stage it shuts down. When I put it in the red in the RC spot it doesn't even go to the start the burn stage. We had our furnace worked on and they had to put a new control panel in and now our nest doesn't seem to work.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We had the furnace fixed because it would keep shutting down right before it would start the burners. the Tech replace the pressure valve, then they came and tried a regular old thermostat and to day the replace the control panel. I can't get the nest to work with the control panel on the furnace.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YEs
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

Usually R and RC would be connected together and then the red wire put on either of these two. The Nest usually requires a C or common so you may need to use the green as a common and put it on C at the Nest and transfer the green wire at the furnace to C as well.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.