airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Goodman gks9 and the pilot light is out. I followed

Customer Question

I have a Goodman gks9 and the pilot light is out. I followed the gas line and it goes into a Honeywell grey plastic box. This box has the gas on and off switch but no pilot light switch, what am I missing
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Your furnace has an electronic igniter(No pilot). Your furnace should have a control board in blower compartment.If furnace fails to light on call for heat e light should flash on board to indicate what failed.Look in blower and tell me if light flashes and if do pattern of flash.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

When thermostat calls for heat, below is sequence it should follow.Let me know if it does any of this or if we get an error light on board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry man I don't know what you mean. what should I be looking at? the control board? all I see is 1 solid red light on the board
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Steady light is normal.Does that change when thermostat calls for heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so, i removed the bottom panel to look at the board and it lets loose a switch that turns the furnace off, safety switch I'm guessing. my thermostat should be calling for heat right now but nothing is happening
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Issue may be in thermostat.Lets do this. Using needle nose pliers, or a short jumper wire ,jump R and W terminals on funace board where thermostat wires connect. Push in that door switch and see if furnace will work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which are the thermostat wire, on this board of a thousand wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I think I found the thermo r and w wires, i used needle nose players, jumped them, turned the switch and the furnace started to hum and the red light flashes 3 times
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

3 flashes is an open pressure switch.Does the small vent motor come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see the small wheel on the what I think is the blower trying to turn, but doesn't it moves 1/8 inch then kinda seems like it gets stuck
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok that is your problem That is the inducer motor.It has to come on and pull a vacuum on the pressure switch, Turn it by hand and see if it spins freely and if it will start with a bit of assistance spinning it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it spins freely, I can feel the vibrations in the wheel, and I tried spinning to kick start it and it seems like it wants to go but stops. If I help it it will spin 1/4 turn then stop, its like its clogged if that makes sense
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If it spins freely by hand but will not start the motor I going to have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled off the retainer ring and pulled off the wheel, is there anything I can spray on the shaft to loosen it up?? if not I'll have to call a vac guy, what part do I tell him to bring what part do I tell him to bring
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You will need a new induced draft motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since I had to jump those wires to get to this point does the wall thermostat need changing as well
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I would definitely have it checked. Could be as simple as low batteries if it uses batteries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I don't know what just happened but when I screw the panel back on now I get the light flashing 6 times
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

6 flashes is a rollout switch. Should not come into play until furnace has lit. You can try to reset them by pushing button in center of each switch