Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My name is ***** ***** I have a 80 and am getting error code

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** I have a bryant 80 and am getting error code 31. Do you know how to fix this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am remodeling and my contractor removed the main feed pipe from the top of the unit today. I was working fine yesterday, but now gets the error code 31 and will not ignite. Does this have to do anything with the pipe that he removed?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Hey Billy are you still there?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 11 months ago.

are all pipes back on now?

Billy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, because we are relocating them in order to remodel the kitchen.
The main pipe from the heater that feeds the rest of the house was disassembled about 2 feet from the furnace.

31 means an air switch is not closing when the exhaust fan starts...is the exhaust fan starting? And was anything done to vent pipe?

and are you sure it is not code 13?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are some pictures. You can see the furnace in the picture with the front cover removed.If you look carefully, you can see the rectangular pipe that exits the furnace and enters the ceiling. After it enters the ceiling, it goes about 6 inches and then is disconnected.

Thank you...is the exhaust fan in top section turning on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the fan is starting. Currently, the furnace is switched off and the gas line is closed. The gas on/off switch inside of the furnace is also in the off position.When I turn the furnace on, air flows through the vents, so I'm assuming the exhaust fan is turning onI'm pretty sure it's not code 13, but I can double check if you want. Just let me know the procedure.

Ok we have 2 fans....one in the top section known as an exhaust fan....this takes exhaust up the chimney. Then we have the main circulation fan in bottom...that is the one that blows air out the vents/registers,

The one I am concerned with right now is the smaller fan in top section

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's also weird because the furnace is off right now, but there's some hot air coming out of the pipe that was disconnected.Can you describe what the fan looks like so that I can check it?Also, the furnace does not ignite anymore.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, here's the second picture
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anyone there?