Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I am in the process of purchasing a home with one of your

Customer Question

Hi. I am in the process of purchasing a home with one of your programmable thermostats in it. I've never had problems with it in the year+ I've live here. However, I'm a novice at home-ownership and really dumb about a lot of things. My thermostat is telling me that the battery is low, so I followed the instructions on it and replaced the batteries with new ones. It's still telling me the batteries are low and I can't program it to start heating the house. I live in Montana and it's getting chilly here. I'm not sure what I need to do, but I know I need to do something to up the heat in my home. Can you help me?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

you are sure the batteries are fresh right ?.....there is the possibility that for some reason it is not making good contact..........was there any corrosion on the batteries you replaced?..............I would like if you could follow these steps...........find the burner switch in the electrical panel box.........switch it off...........remove the batteries in the thermostat...........clean any corrosion if any with a Q-tip and alcohol.......then with a fine nail file go over the contacts where the batteries touch..............blow it out and replace.............turn the burner switch back on ...............let me know what happens.......Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

I don't know why my message here said that it was sent by you so I am re-sending the same message.........................

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

this is strange I hope you are getting this ............please notify me if you do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received your message(s). I tried as you suggested but am still getting the same response from the thermostat and I am sure the batteries are ok; they were recently purchased. Anything else I can do? perhaps the thermostat just needs replacing---I don't know.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

okay lets try this next.............. install the batteries in backwards for 5 seconds, take them out, and reinstall them correctly. making sure of the + and - are in correctly ..........eventually 1:00pm should come up and you should be able to reprogram.

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

I have to narrow this down more....can you get me the Honeywell model and number.............you aren't using rechargeable batteries correct? ...........and you are putting them in the right way?..........even tho they are in a new package they could still have gone south................is the blower or anything working on the thermostat? ...............you might want to retrace some things I suggested.......sometimes it is easy to overlook items, it happens to all of us..................I will check back as much as I can next time will be 8am EST

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

I have to go but I will check back later this afternoon