Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heater is doing 2, 2 red light flashes. Only cold/room

Customer Question

Customer: My name is Matt. My heater is doing 2 green, 2 red light flashes. Only cold/room temperature air is coming out. Had it tuned up 2 months ago and have no issues. Got new roof this last week and now heater is not working.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It will not produce warm aair
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like the roofers pulled the 24 volt thermostat wires loose, or turned off the power to the unit.

We can check that first, let me know what you find... we can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
power is fine. I here the burner trying to light and I think that is the issue. Do you think it could have got dust on it and is preventing the gas from getting to the burner?
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Dust is not likely to be the problem.

Check the gas shut off valve located in the gas line within a few feet of the unit,

Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

The roofers may have turned it off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
gas valve is parallel to the line.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** in that case.

please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel, the picture needs to be taken from straight on, in very good light.

You can use the paper clip- icon at the right end of the tool bar at the top of this dialog box to attach it here.,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If you have an error code showing, tell me what the code read out is on the wiring diagram or a sticker next to the diagram please.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attachfiles'link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just sent
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
for 2 red flashes, it is saying on the panel: system lockout, retries or recycles exceeded
Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

http://screencast.com/t/hRcF4JTjeD

Next locate the glow plug igniter, it connects with a molex connector, unplug it, and then restart the furnace with your volt meter probes in the female glow plug igniter socket, If you are getting voltage but the igniter does not glow then the igniter is bad,

If you are not getting voltage to the igniter there are other problems we need to trouble shoot

Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Many of these igniters last less than 3 or 4 years, construction dust can get on them, that can cause a border line igniter to fail.

If it has a thin black line across the face of its hot surface, its bad.