Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Billy. This is ***** *****. My furnace short cycles several

Customer Question

Customer: Hello Billy. This is ***** *****. My furnace short cycles several times and then shuts off. I opened up the furnace in the attic and if I leave the door open the heater will run. Once I shut the door, it begins to shutter/short-cycle and then shuts off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Also, when I open the door there is a blinking red light but it seems to be a consistent blink; rather than a pattern.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. Thanks Billy.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This sounds like inadequate combustion air. What is the brand and model of your unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an Amana model no. BBA60A2A
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Phil replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Phil, Rick opted out.

http://johnstonesupply9.com/TechDocs/Amana/Air%20Handler%20Units/BBA%20Air%20Handler/BBA%20TECH%20INFO.pdf

Tell me please if this is looks like the manual for your unit,

Please confirm, this is an electric furnace, not a gas furnace.

The only thing that will shudder in side an electric furnace is the main blower motor. If that is what you have, turn off the power to the furnace, remove its front cover, and reach inside the blower compartment, insure the power is off and the blower wheel is not turning, then spin the blower by hand and tell me if you feel any roughness in the bearings or play in the blower wheel so that it hits its cowling.

We can go from there.