Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have four Trane AC units that sat on a concrete apron on

Customer Question

I have four Trane AC units that sat on a concrete apron on the inside on the inside corner of tow adjoining parts of the house off the back. After I purchased the house the builder moved one of the 4 units off the concrete apron around the corner to the back of the house...approximately 15 feet. It looks terrible and totally out of place. When I asked it to be moved back he said the inspector told him it was too close to the disconnect so the unit had to be moved and could not go back. The inspector no longer works for the town.
Aside from other legalities, I am hoping you can provide insight on what could be going on from a technical view. It would seem that if the builder was truthful in the inspector's reason then he could have avoided a lot of cost by simply moving the disconnect (mounted on the side of the house) a few inches. It would have also avoided messing up the look of the house. Can you comment and also specifically answer the following:
1. What would you estimate the cost difference is for moving the disconnect vs. moving the AC unit?
Is there a way I can send you a picture of the AC units to you?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

Yes just attach a picture to reply. The unit may have been blocking disconnect is the reason you had to move unit.. It would have been easier just to move disconnect a few feet. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The picture was too big to send. What is your thought on the price difference between moving the disconnect vs. Setting up a new pad and then moving the AC unit with an electrician and an HVAC contractor involved.

Here is manual. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why did you send me this manual?

Sorry accident. Disregard manual. Go ahead and move unit. Just leave enough room to access disconnect. About 300.00 to move unit. You are right it does not look professional. Russ